First, we found a wooden dresser on Craigslist. Nothing special about it, and it was sort of beat up, which was perfect for redoing. I gave the fronts of the drawers a light sand just to get the grime off.
Next, I made my own chalk paint. This is super easy and costs much less than buying it at a specialty store. I let Taliila pick out a bunch of colors and had the paint guy at Lowes make me little samples of each of them. A little bit of chalk paint goes a long way, so you really only need those small sample sizes anyways.
I had her paint the fronts any way she liked, but had to encourage her not to mix the colors too much. Her tendency was to keep mixing until the colors turned brown.
I taught her how to splatter the paint across the drawers. Our driveway took quite the beating.
I ended up doing the shell of the dresser, just keeping the design loose.
Voila. A simple weekend project and a colorful dresser for my daughter's room.